This video provides an excellent overview of the requirements for J2534 programming and scan tool diagnostics:
Essentially, you need these items:
- A PC running a version of Windows (usually 7 or 10) that is compatible with the OE’s software. See attached spreadsheet for system requirements by manufacture as of 2018 October, this info is such to frequent changes.
- J2534 Hardware to connect your PC to the vehicle, options include:
CarDAQ-M (AES# DT-CDM)
CarDAQ-Plus 2 (AES# DT-CDP3)
OE-specific Mongoose cables:
- Battery Maintainer: 100A Power Supply/ Battery Charger (AES# SCH-100A):
- Subscription(s) to the OE Software (sold by the OE):
In addition to programming, the J2534 Hardware can be used for true dealer level scan tool diagnostics:
- BMW ISTA – hard to setup.
- Chrysler wiTECH 2.0 (2010-present), best if device has 3 CAN lines
- GM GDS2 – easy to setup.
- GM Tech2WIN – easy to setup.
- Honda HDS – easy to setup.
- Jaguar Land Rover IDS – hard to setup.
- Toyota Techstream – easy to setup.
- VW/Audi ODIS – hard to setup.
More about J2534: http://www.aeswave.com/blog/j2534-bt42/
Even more info: https://www.nastf.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3639
More articles related to J2534: https://www.aeswave.com/blog/j2534-bt42/